Power To Choose is a project under Nchekwa Oha Advocacy Foundation, We offer a holistic domestic violence service for victims and perpetrators who might be either adults or children under 18 years old.
We work together with the stakeholders and the community in building positive relationship between individuals within domestic household.
Our services include refugee accommodation, outreach support and access to a free, confidential helpline. We employ a team of accredited specialist workers to support people who need support through the criminal justice system.
We provide support to male & female victims of abuse as well as the children and young people who are living in the community.
At present, the pilot scheme is situated at the South East region of Nigeria with a two year plan to roll it out to other regions of the Country.
Our main aim is to provide flexible, professional and responsive support services that meet the needs of anyone who has experienced violence or is a perpetrator of violence.
- Enable individuals who have been affected by domestic abuse to live independent lives free from fear and abuse
- Enable the perpetrators of domestic violence to take responsibility for their actions and find alternative ways of resolving relationship difficulty without resulting to violence.
- The survivor’s voice to remain at the centre is all we do in Power To Choose
- Maintain special services that will meet the needs of women and children affected by domestic violence/abuse
- Provide services that are gender sensitive.
- Provide training to statutory stakeholders like police, traditional rulers and their cabinets, teachers, health officials etc. at no cost.
- Challenge and highlight the disadvantages which result from domestic abuse
- Lobby appropriate stakeholders on issues we observe that aids domestic violence against women thereby promoting gender equality
- Promote unified inter-agency responses to domestic abuse and develop partnerships to work towards an Igbo Community in which domestic violence/abuse is no longer tolerated
WHAT WE BELIEVE
Power To Choose believes that all individuals have a right to a Safe life and our community has a DUTY to promote this right.
Power To Choose identifies women as the primary victims of domestic violence while acknowledging that male victims are on the increase. Power To Choose believes that violence on child domestic workers remains on the increase therefore more resources need to be identified to help the children support workers in making sure that the children are helped while their abusers are made to face the judicial system.